This post has been a long time coming! If you’ve known me for a while on social or from this site, you’ll know I have published similar posts before 🙂 I have tried reviving this blog a couple times in the past and circumstances just prevented me from putting time into it. But the thing is, this site has never been my only focus anyway and I’ve never made a real effort to monetize it. But I’ve never “neglected” it as long as I have in the last 3 years. Yes, my last published post here was in June 2014. That IS a long time! But I want that to change…
Last night, I started the process of migrating pixelyzed.com from a hybrid static and blog site which ran under blogCFC to a full blogging site entirely powered by WordPress (and PHP). As a long time ColdFusion developer and advocate, this is a huge change for me. It is a decision I did not take lightly but it was long time coming and was motivated by several reasons.
This is just a quick note to tell you all that I just migrated the pixelyzed.com blog to WordPress. I will post again in the next few days to explain the reasoning behind the change and speak of my experience doing so.
For now, you will notice that he blog is no longer under a sub-directory of the pixelyzed.com domain. I think it makes a lot more sense as I use this site mostly to blog anyway. On the other hand, I have put code in the old blog location that should correctly redirect any old /pixellog URLs to their corresponding URLs in the WordPress blog.
It’s now late for me and I have client work to do tomorrow… 😉 So please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any glaring problem.
Thanks you all for sticking with me all this time!
For some reason, some of my old posts are turning up on MXNA recently as if they were new. I apologize about that but it’s apparently not because of anything I did. I’ve been swamped with work recently and I obviously haven’t posted anything new but I haven’t edited those old posts either so I have no idea why they are showing up again.
This may be due to my changing blog software a little while ago and the RSS feed URL changing. I noticed that the MXNA bot has spidered the feed several times recently so maybe that’s why these posts are resurfacing… Anyway, I’m not about to change blog software again any time soon so this situation with old posts popping up as new should subside soon. I wonder why the MXNA software doesn’t take the post’s date into account though.
First, both blogging apps are built with ColdFusion and that is an important reason I chose both of them at different times. When i started this blog I was using BlogCFC from Ray Camden. At that time it was a very nice blog app and it was free but its functionality was a bit limited. Administering it was also not so easy because there was no graphical interface to do so. Although my blogging needs were pretty simple I decided to try something else.
I then came across BlogFusion and although it was not free, its developer had special very low pricing for non-commercial blogs. It was extremely sophisticated compared to BlogCFC at the time and had a very extensive admin interface so I decided to switch.
As I started the task of adapting the default look of BlogFusion to my site I quickly realized that the developer had taken a very diffeent approach to programming it than Ray had for BlogCF. It took me a long time to grasp how the countless files that affected the blog’s look worked together and modify them to my needs. It was a real chore and I almost went right back to BlogCFC. I really liked the new functionality BlogFusion was giving me though. so I forged ahead and eventually got the customization done.
BlogFusion has then been picked up by new developers and the new version has been in beta for what seems like forever. The beta versions have looked at did not seem to have much improved the underlying mess of disorganized code that was behing BlogFusion 4.x and the app started giving me trouble. In recent weeks, my hosting provider communicated with me many times to point out several errors that were occuring within the BlogFusion app. Between database connections timeouts to other errors that were impossible for me to pinpoint or fix, the host support people felt that my blog was compromising the stability of the server my Web site is hosted on so I had no choice but to do something.
Now to be fair to BlogFusion, it is entirely possible that I messed up something in it myself as I applied the various updates from 4.0.1 to 4.0.8. I had to rely on a file compare utility (Winmerge) to apply the updates as I had heavily modified several key files to get BlogFusion to look and behave like my site. As is the case with many back end developers, the BlogFusion front end HTML/CSS code was not very standards compliant or semantic and relied on very outdated markup and formatting techniques. I’m not a standards purist by any stretch of the imagination but it was nowhere near the quality I required.
Another problem I’d been having with BlogFusion from the get go is that it made it very hard to control blog comments spam. It completely ignored the blocked IP addresses list and, despite its very sophisticated admin interface, it was very tedious to delete spam comments made to several entries. There were other things as well but the point here is not to bash BlogFusion but to explain why I felt I had to switch again. BlogFusion 5 may end up to be a lot better but it will probably end up being a lot more than I need.
In the meantime, BlogCFC has evolved quite nicely in the last 2 years. It now offers all the functionality I wanted and then some and now has a very nice Web admin interface. The app’s underlying structure is also far better organized and more modular and changing the look of the app will be far easier than it has been for BLogFusion. It feels good to be back to BlogCFC and I can’t wait to see what Ray has planned for it in the future.